Who is eligible?
You are eligible for this scholarship if you are a local or international student seeking admission as a full-time candidate pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) programme by research at NTU.
- You must have a First Class Honours or Second Class (Upper Division) Honours or its equivalent.
- You should not be on paid employment or accept paid employment or concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary or top-up allowance during the prescribed period of the award.
- The award is tenable for one year in the first instance and is renewable subject to good progress.
- The monthly stipend for Ph.D. students will be S$2,500 for Singapore Citizens, S$2,200 for Singapore Permanent Residents and S$2,000 for international students.
- For students who pass the Ph.D. Qualifying Examination/Confirmation, the stipend may be increased to S$3,000 for Singapore Citizens, S$2,700 for Singapore Permanent Residents and S$2,500 for international students, subject to good performance in research and the attainment of required standards for courses taken. The University reserves the right to vary the amount of the stipend at any time by written notice.
- In addition to the monthly stipend, the award also covers the annual tuition fee and the annual computer fee.
- The maximum period of the award is up to four years for Ph.D. candidates, subject to good performance and progress, as well as availability of research funding.
* For student intake prior to AY2010, the monthly stipend for Singapore Citizens is $2,300 and for those after the Ph.D. Qualifying Examination/Confirmation, the amount will be increased by S$500.
For those under scholarships, the terms for the NTU Research scholarship are being reviewed. Revised terms of the scholarships will be implemented from the January 2013 intake onwards.