The International Centre for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) — comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Centre for Molecular and Drug Research in Karachi, Pakistan — and TWAS offer fellowships to young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in chemical and biological sciences.
- TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) – comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular and Drug Research – for a period of up to four years for studies leading to a PhD degree in the following fields: organic chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular medicine, pharmacology or physical chemistry.
- Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option), or may enrol in a PhD course at ICCBS (FULL-TIME option).
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided with ICCBS. Under the sandwich option, TWAS covers only one return journey to the host country.
- If awarded, applicants must sit a compulsory entrance examination in the first quarter of the year prior to starting their Fellowship (however, the ICCBS website should be visited for updates). For the entrance examination, candidates can enter Pakistan on a visitor’s visa. Upon successful completion of the entrance examination, candidates will immediately begin their research programme and the necessary requirements for a study visa will be implemented while at the host institution. Local hospitality for candidates travelling to Pakistan for the entrance examination will be provided by ICCBS.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the year of application;
- hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- provide an official Acceptance Letter from the supervisor or head of department at ICCBS (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form). Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Director of ICCBS (Prof. M.I. Choudhary: by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Choudhary, applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Fecha cierre de convocatoria: 31 agosto 2014